When considering integration skills, many organisations suffer from mistaking a newly trained (or newly-certified) integration developer for a true integration expert. In this blog we explain why integrating without deep integration expertise is a mistake that could impact your business dearly.
Before we delve in the impacts, let’s first get a high-level idea of what differentiates an integration expert from an integration developer.
Integration Expert vs Integration Developer
- Experience not in a single tool but across several integration tools and platforms. This helps avoid implementations focused on tool features rather than the requirements.
- Experience not in a single business domain but across various clients and domains. This helps avoid poor domain modelling which results in inflexible and costly solution architectures.
- Experience facing varying levels of business and technology real-time challenges. This means that integrators work effectively under pressure and avoid issues before they occur.
Often, once an integration platform is chosen, businesses will look for developers with experience or knowledge on the chosen platform, rather than on integration itself. Knowledge on the fundamentals of integration is taken for granted - yet often missing. This can pose serious problems to the business, some of which are illustrated below.
Why are Experts Needed?
- Lost transactions impact customer experience, revenue, and costs. Imagine an integration solution in place for the retail industry that connects online customers to different international retailers. And now imagine losing an order in the middle of a transaction due to a failure in the middleware, and realising it only after receiving a customer complaint. Even worse, what if the order could not be traced back? Do you ask the customer to place the same order again after taking a long time to realise the loss? Can you recover the order? What did it cost the business to investigate and fix?
- Poorly performing platforms impact customer experience, revenue, and costs. Every integration platform comes with its own resource limitations and elasticity capabilities. Efficient management of a tool's resources, especially its memory, is highly crucial for any solution. This becomes mandatory in businesses with fluctuating transaction volumes, like hotel bookings, event management etc, that show seasonal trends in transaction magnitudes. The integration tool should not suffer if it's overloaded or remain under-utilised and should instead scale up or down depending on the load. IntegrationWorks has encountered many organisations utilising a team of newly certified developers (and without our integration expertise) and suffer from integration components that crash every ten minutes because of over-utilisation of the tool's memory. The fix is generally for us to re-factor or re-implement the whole solution with efficient memory management.
The list would go on, and as you see, some consequences of simple integration errors tarnish the reputation of your business, impact revenue, and lead to increased costs.. Also, such subtle inefficiencies and short cuts in integration cause major long term agility and maintenance issues to your business. These problems are highly prevalent in organisations that lack integration expertise, irrespective of the complexity of the solution.
Avoiding the mistake
Integration expertise helps avoid impacts to customer experience, revenue, and costs, so there is a clear business mandate to involve integration experts right from the outset of a digital transformation and during the delivery of integration solutions.
Specialising in integration for over a decade, IntegrationWorks are proud to house a global team of integration experts. Our collaborative skills means that our clients benefit from access to this global talent pool - however and wherever they engage us. Our versatile skills and vendor-agnostic approach ensure our integration solutions are of enduring quality and flexibility. In addition to our deep expertise in connecting systems, we offer a range of differentiating services, such as API strategies, maturity assessments and technology & total-cost-of-ownership comparisons. These market-leading services can only be delivered by integration experts.
So why wouldn't you choose integration experts? Find out how our experts can help you on your integration journey, send us an email at email@example.com.
Written by Siva Sankari Yuvaraj